Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

From Old Book to ScrapBook

It is no secret that I love books. I have created mini books, journals out of books, and several altered books. Today I share with you a scrapbook that I made from an old book.



Check out some photos from inside...




Yes, it really is possible to make a scrapbook from an old book. The biggest thing you want to remember, though, is to use duplicates of your photos. An old book is obviously neither acid-free nor archival safe. You want to make sure that you have another copy of photos elsewhere so when or if the book breaks down, you don't lose your precious photos.

The front inside covers were papered and the title made with rub-on letters. 

When I made this book, I was recovering from a long illness and needed a creative outlet. I could prepare some pages and stop and rest. I left everything out on the table and worked on it little by little for a few weeks. It was such a diversion from my illness it was heavenly! It was actually one of my first real altered books that I made and finished. 


I love how it turned out and that I used family photos in this book. It encompasses a specific time period, a family reunion to a vacation spot we go quite often. I gave myself license to use whatever I liked. I pulled out all my ephemera boxes. Magazine clippings, die cuts, cancelled stamps. I painted and gessoed and doodled and played. It was some of the most fun I ever had because I let myself do whatever I wanted to do on the pages. I wasn’t restricting myself to make it look a certain way.



After I cropped some of the photos I used the remaining pieces as page tabs. Just staple them on the edges.




Have you ever made an altered book? What is the most unusual thing you made into a scrapbook?

No comments :

Post a Comment