Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

DIY Stamping with Cricut, Part 1

You can cut stamps with your Cricut.  Just know that whatever material you choose to cut, it won’t be superior to any stamp image you can purchase.  If you come into this understanding that, you’ll be a lot happier.  These cut stamps will have imperfections.



You can either cut stamps using Cricut Cuttables Stamp Material or Craft Foam Sheets. The foam sheets work MUCH better than the stamp material. I'm just sayin'...

Let's start off with the Cricut material. Check out the instructions below:




Tools and Supplies:
Cricut Machine
New, sticky mat!!
Deep Cut Blade and Housing
Any cartridge
Cricut Cuttables Stamp Material, acrylic blocks





You can purchase the Cricut Cuttables Stamp Material two different ways. You can purchase the kit which has one 6” x 6” piece of stamp material and four acrylic blocks. But if you already have acrylic blocks, just get the stamp sheets/refill pack, pictured below. It comes with a pack of two 6” x 6” stamp sheets.


Cricut Stamp Material:
The settings are listed as follows: Blade depth: 4.5, Speed: 3, Pressure: 4. Ensure that the image you are cutting is no larger than the acrylic block you will be using.  Use a fresh mat.  Clean stamps with soap and water.

Instructions:
  1. Load deep cut blade
  2. Load stamp material onto VERY STICKY MAT. My mat was new but had been used once or twice and I did not get great results.
  3. Cut designs using settings above.


My stamp material moved under the pressure of the blade for some of the cuts.  I tried a different blade depth and pressure, but honestly I am not impressed. Also, the stamp material is so thin! Some cuts were OK.  The large chunky images are the best, but even the star was messed up because the material did not stay put. It cuts well, but it didn't stick well to the mat. 

The stamps do stick well to an acrylic block and it does stamp well. But in my opinion, not something I will ever purchase again.

Have you used the Cricut Cuttables Stamp Material? What are your thoughts? Did it work better for you? Leave me a comment and let me know.

2 comments :

  1. I don't have a Cricut and have not used that Stamp Material. For the price the Silhouette Stamp Material left a lot to be desired. I prefer using the craft foam I buy at Dollar Tree. Not only do I get better cuts but I like the little bit of texture I get when I stamp with them. Plus the craft foam does not require a special mat which is a plus in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiments exactly, Myoriah! I hate the Cricut stamp material. On Friday I will post my tutorial for using craft foam. So much cheaper and works very well. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete