Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

I'm bringing "old school" back! Altered Frames Wall Hanging

I'm a big fan of "old school".  Actually, I'm pretty much old school on most everything. We have a land line phone (really!), I like taking hand written notes, I only recently got a smart phone in the last few months and, well, I have a lot of old school craft supplies. I'm talkin' reeeeaallllly old stuff!

They guys at the basketball court call my husband "old school" because his shots into the hoop are usually preceded by hitting the backboard. Apparently "no one" shoots like that anymore. Oh, but did I mention that my DH is 54 and plays with 20 to 30 year old men and he the best there? He is a legend on the courts...but I digress. ;-)

Today, I share a project made with lots of "old school" products. The project was from one of my original online classes from way back in 2008.


Check out the supplies I've used. I'm sure you'll laugh at how old they are! But don't laugh too hard. You may have one or two of these things stuffed way back in a closet somewhere! ;-)


There are a few things you definitely want to have, but everything else is up for grabs. Use what you have!!!


Must-haves:

  • Stick (from a tree!) or thin dowel (about 1.2” – ¾” diameter) - long enough to hold the frames in the configuration you choose
  • Chipboard or mat board frames - in sizes and shapes of your photos. I've use Heidi Swapp Chipboard Frames. I used "Girl", but the link is for "Grunge". Don't have any of these? Use ones from the craft store in the framing department! Or cut some out from chipboard and your die cutter!
  • Eyelet hole punch or Crop-A-Dile
  • Gel medium, decoupage medium, or white tacky glue
  • Ribbons and/or torn fabric, leather strips
  • Scissors, paper trimmer
  • Adhesives for embellishments of your choice
  • Sandpaper
  • Scrapbooking papers or collage elements. I used Deluxe Designs (Can't even find an internet link to any of these papers!)
Optional items: Choose the items you want to use:

  • Acrylic paints, paint brush/foam brush
  • Stamps and inks (Distress inks and Stazon)
  • Eyelets and eyelet setter
  • Chipboard letters or words. I used Heidi Swapp Box Chipboard Letters...I can't believe someone is still selling them!
  • Embellishments: metal words, charms, bling, etc.
  • Rub-ons, fuzzy rub-ons, iron-ons. I used Heidi Swapp Fuzzy Rubons. Look at all this Heidi Swapp stuff on Etsy!
  • Wire and Beads, wire cutter and needle nosed pliers
  • Wooden finials for dowel ends
  • Beaded trim
  • Gold leaf/silver leaf pen I used Krylon
  • Beading thread/needle
  • Skeleton leaves
  • Metal words
  • Tulle, ribbon, trims
  • Silk flowers, paper flowers
  • Ghost letters (acrylic)
  • Large safety pins strung with alpha beads
  • Small seashells with holes to create a trim for beach photos
  • Die cut machine, stencils for words
  • Chipboard swirls or accents
  
These are just a sampling of things I can think of that you might want to use.  But the real creativity is up to you!!

 NOTE: The audio is rather fuzzy, but it is from 2008. I have learned how to create much better presentations!



On Wednesday, 10/8/2014, I will post part 2 of this project. In that post we'll put it all together. Hey, there's more old school goodness where this came from so hang onto your hats!!

If you like old school share on Facebook and/or Pin on Pinterest!

What old school products do you still have? Do you need to use up your stash? Head to the Craft Classes Online blog, My Creative Life 2014 where we challenge you to use up all of your supplies each week.


No comments :

Post a Comment