Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

1 crafty take on a Project Runway challenge, Part 1

I love Project Runway. I think I've seen at least 98% of the 13 seasons that have aired so far. (How did I even miss a season of my favorite show? Horrors!) It amazes me how can the designers can come up with a sketch and create a beautiful outfit in one day. As I watch, I try to think of what I would do for that specific challenge. I'd never make it with such pressure to create!!

What is even more amazing is the unconventional challenge. This is where the designers create an outfit using things that are not made for clothing. In past seasons they've used car parts (seat belts, headlights, etc.), candy (Twizzlers, Hershey bars, etc.), and plants (flowers, moss, etc.).

So in that vein, I started thinking of what I've made in my crafty pursuits that began with items that are not your usual craft supplies. Enter: a brown paper bag.

Ah, the utilitarian brown paper bag! It brings back memories of many a school lunch of PBandJ. Such a simple, yet useful, item. It was not that long ago that we used to create scrapbooks with them. I sold many a paper bag album on eBay years ago. Let's head to the "way back" machine and take a look at this timeless treasure.




In the first video, Part 1 of 3 of our project, we'll put the "bones" of the album together and decorate the front and back covers.

The project was created using a class kit. I'll give you all the measurements in the video as we create each portion, so just use up your stash. These are some of the items that I have used in my project; they are just a suggestion of some of the items you may want to use.

Supplies:

  • Three (3) Large paper lunch bags (when folded they should be approximately 6” x 6”)
  • Two (2) 1" book rings
  • Coordinating cardstock
  • Coordinating patterned papers
  • Coordinating rub-ons
  • Ribbon, tulle, lace
  • Brads
  • Silk flowers, large and small
  • Inkpad, brown or distress
  • Photo corners, chipboard or regular
  • Bling, rhinestones, or jewels
  • Tissue paper flowers
  • 4 regular sized Manila tags
  • 5 small Manila tags
  • 3 jewelry tags
  • String or DMC floss
  • Various phrase stickers
  • Vellum quotes
  • Swirl clips
Tools: Paper trimmer, scissors, craft knife, dry and wet adhesive, stapler and staples, corner rounder, regular hole punch or Crop-a-Dile.





Parts 2  and 3 of the video tutorial will be added to the blog on Friday and next Monday. Subscribe to my YouTube channel so you get notification when the video is uploaded and ready for viewing.

Please feel free to share on Facebook or Pin on Pinterest!

2 comments :

  1. Good idea to pin it on Pinterest and even better to subscribe to your YouTube channel. I did both! Thank you for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Muffins Mama,
      Glad you like the video and very glad you've subscribed to my channel. Thanks for visiting my blog. :-)

      Delete