Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

I just knew it...the food dilemma

I have been trying to live healthier these past few years. I'm working out like a beast 5 days a week. I'm in much better shape than I have ever been...really. Endurance and strength.  But I didn't want to do any weird drastic diets, but it sure is getting harder to lose weight the older I get. UGH!

I just knew that once I made my mind up to change my eating (I really do eat rather well already and I've been stalling on this...), that I'd need to cut out the delicious, but dastardly, coffee creamers. I might only have one cup of coffee a day, but I do add a lot of creamer...that wonderfully flavored liquid stuff! (full of chemicals!!)

Today was my first day without it. It wasn't a problem as I don't NEED coffee to start my day. I'm a morning person and I can get up early without a problem.  I just like coffee. It's sort of a comfort food...it's cozy for me. No worries, I just substituted with herbal tea and Agave sweetener. It's better for me anyway. Now, it's onto portion control.  (GROAN!) I will measure out my foods and stop eating sweets. You heard it...I've put it out there so now I have to do it!

If you're looking for help with food, I recommend the SuperTracker. My husband just turned me onto it and, while it can be rather time consuming to load in all your foods, it looks like it will really help me. In just tracking one or two meals I could see I eat WAY too much salt. And I already told you that I eat pretty well. But there's a lot of hidden salt in what you think is healthy. So have a go at it and see what you think.

Do you have any health tips to share that have worked for you? Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

Here's to a few less pounds of me next time we "talk"!

4 comments :

  1. Usually I'm pretty good about cutting out sugar but ever once in awhile I get a craving for something sweet. I'm still working on not giving in to those. I do find more and more I'm not interested in eating sweets because everything tastes too sweet. The same with having really cut down on salt.Now things taste too salty. I still struggle once in awhile with a craving for chips. However, more and more I'm making my own frying the potatoes in olive oil. Also making my own corn chips from tortillas.

    The big thing I've done is now eat unsalted almonds or carrot sticks for snacks. Luckily I can buy the almonds in bulk and they are good for me. 24 almonds are 164 calories but I'm sure a serving of potato chips is more and there is not the benefit of calcium and iron which I get from the almonds.

    I try to stay away from processed foods. The hidden salt and sugar is mind boggling. Also I seldom go to a fast food place. Not only does that mean I'm eating healthier but it is better on the wallet.

    My advice is to not deprive yourself. Once in awhile indulge and have dessert. Or at a party go ahead and have a handful of chips and dip. I've been finding that by not depriving myself a sliver of cake now satisfies me or that handful of chips and dip. I no longer find myself pigging out.

    Also before dishing up seconds on your plate sit for awhile and you will probably find that your brain kicks in to tell you you are full. That is also why it is a good idea to eat slow chewing and savoring each bite of food.

    Best of luck on losing the weight you wish to lose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super information,I have Digged this site for future and will keep a eye on your other postings. Thank you
    Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been eating raw fruit or vegetable before my meals. I read that it helps digestion and fills you up so you eat less and stay fuller longer. Celery works really well. Good luck in your mission!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using Fitness Pal to track my food intake and it really helps in keeping track of total calories. Good luck!
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete