Pages

Friday, February 7, 2014

From Chaos to Calm - Square 1 Masterpiece to the rescue!

In my kitchen cabinets almost NONE of my canisters and containers match each other. Oh, there are a few here and there, but I definitely don't have one of those pantries where everything is immaculate and Pinterest-worthy! Oh the horror! :-(

Barring the thought of ditching everything and starting over (UGH), I decided to get crafty this afternoon and label all my containers with Square 1 Masterpiece Color Sheets, the safe alternative to PVC adhesive vinyl. Using the same color of Square 1 on all of them (black) and the same font (Cricut Cindy Loo Cartridge) I was able to get a totally new look and a bit of an organized feel in my otherwise chaotic pantry!

 
First, start by measuring the area where your label will go. I used the Cricut Craft Room to design all the labels and cut them all out at the same time. Using the Cindy Loo cartridge, I created several mats of labels I needed.
 
 
Load your mat with Square 1 material of your choice with the colored side up. Adjust the settings. I used blade depth of 3 and a pressure of 3. Send it off to the Cricut to be cut!
 
Clean the outside of your containers. Peel off the portions that will NOT be used. In this project, that is everything but the letters.
 
Weed out the portions that are inside the letters, like the centers of the "B" below. 
 
Because Square 1 isn't vinyl, but stronger, you don't need transfer tape. Just peel the letters off the backing paper and place on your canister like a sticker. Soo easy! 
 
Now if you're like me and can't seem to keep things straight, here's a tip. Use a piece of painter's tape as a guide to keep your letters straight. For letters that have a "tail" like the "g" in the photo below, align it where it should go, but don't press it too hard on the tape.
 
Once everything is aligned properly, carefully pull off the tape, press down the letter...
 
...and it looks perfect!
 
You can save the outside of the letters for glass etching. Now I realize that no one really wants to etch the words, "brown sugar" onto anything...at least I don't think so. ;-) You get the idea. 
 
And here's my mismatched canisters that look so much better now!
 
 
 
***************
Project #2: While I had the black Square 1 product out, I decided to add a bit of flair to a framed photo of my oldest son and his new bride. I designed a file in the CCR, just like I did with the canisters. Cut the product and weed the letters.
 
Even with these small, thin letters (Cricut Calligraphy Collection) it was easy to cut and create. I just added the "stickers" to the outside of the glass.
 
 
What have you created lately? I'd love to know. Please follow my blog!! :-)
 
If you have a Cricut and like vinyl and products like Square 1 Masterpiece, you'll love my new online class, "Cricut: Crafting with Vinyl". I hope to see you there!
 
 

2 comments :

  1. I think this is Pinterest worthy. :-) Did you use the repositionable of the permanent? How well/long will the repositionable stick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      I believe it's repositionable that I've used here, but I have both, so I don't remember. The repo sticks well...forever as long as I can tell. It's not like it will lose it's stickiness. I believe it just has a less strong adhesive than the permanent one, but it is plenty sticky. Did that answer the question??

      Delete