Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Designing with Heat Embossing

As I'm working on the two bridal shower/wedding albums for my #1DS and DIL and myself, I'm taking this time to use up my stash of papers, embellishments and tools that have not seen the light of day for quite a while. Some things I haven't used in years or ever at all. (insert embarrassed emoticon)
 
I decided to use a technique that I haven't done in years...heat embossing! I have very few embossing powders...maybe eight. I store them in a small basket in one of the drawers in a rolling cart that houses my toold. Today I'm going to be using both silver and clear embossing powder.
 
First, the tools: ink pad (VersaMark), embossing powder, and heat tool.
 
For this technique I am using a stencil that I made with my Cricut. I used the Edge to Edge cartridge (cart)...one of my favorites. Each key on that cart makes a fabulous stencil. 

Pounce the ink pad directly onto the cardstock through the stencil.
 
Add embossing powder and heat, as usual. What is nice about using a stencil is that if you are embossing a paper that is larger than your stencil like I'm doing here, you can continue the pattern all over your paper. Once the first portion is embossed, align the stencil back on the cardstock and continue embossing the rest of the paper in the same manner. In the photo below I'm using silver embossing powder.
 
In the photo below, I've embossed with clear embossing powder and now I'm adding some watercolor over the embossed paper. The embossing resists the paint, so the color will remain on the portions of the paper without the embossing.
 
See the difference? In the paper on the left, where I've used clear embossing powder and watercolor, the "links" are highlighted with color. In the paper on the right with the silver embossing, the spaces between the links are highlighted. Same supplies, same stencil, different look. 
 
Check out my finished scrapbook page below.  I've used a diamond stencil with silver embossing powder. The photo has mostly grays and white. I wanted to keep those colors in the layout. If you'll notice, the Louvre (that large pyramid-looking structure in the photo) has frosty windows in a diamond pattern. That's why I chose to use the vellum and the diamond stencil.

Just a touch of red for the title to bring in a bit of color.

 
I cut the flowers from the Cricut Lite Bloom cartridge and added some clear rhinestones. Before I cut the flowers I sprayed the paper with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Dazzling Diamonds and Old Paper. It gives the flowers just a touch of sparkle. :-)




Don't they look happy??

And the final page once again.
 
Thanks for stopping by! Please follow my blog. I'll be your best friend!! ;-)

2 comments :

  1. I love the idea of being able to create stencils with the Cricut, just never thought I could. Thank you for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making stencils with Cricut.....what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete