Square1 Masterpiece – Pink permanent or repositionable, 1 sheet
(NOTE: I like using the repositionable product as it allows me to move the elements as often as I need for proper placement)
- Non-stick craft sheet or table covering
- Stretched artist canvas – I used 9” x 12”
- Acrylic Paint
- Cricut Machine, regular blade and mat
- Cricut Cartridges: I used Calligraphy Collection and Straight From the Nest
- Cricut Craft Room (CCR)
- Painter’s tape or transfer tape, optional
- Photo – I used a 5” x 7” landscape photo
- Black cardstock as photo mat
- Sequins, optional
- Tweezers and/or dental pick tool
- Charcoal pencil, optional
- Ribbon or twill tape, optional
1. Paint the artist canvas front and sides in desired colors. I mixed black craft paint, Claudine Hellmuth Studio Paint in Sky Blue, and Tim Holtz Distress Paint in Weathered Wood and Brushed Pewter. Let dry.
2. Prepare text and design layout in Cricut Craft Room (CCR). (See below how you can get this file for free!)
3. Cut text using the CCR file from the black Square 1 Masterpiece. I used blade depth 3, pressure 3.
4. Weed the design leaving the text on backing sheet. You will take out the center of the letters, too, but in the photo below I have not done that yet.
5. Cut the heart swirl and heart border from the pink Square 1 Masterpiece. I used blade depth 3, pressure 3. Weed the design leaving the desired portions on the backing sheet.
6. Pick up the heart border from the backing sheet and center it on the bottom of the canvas about 1/2” from the bottom edge.
7. Pick up the heart swirl design from the backing sheet and center it at the top of the canvas.
8. Mount photo onto black cardstock and trim closely. Set in position on the canvas where you think you will place it but don’t adhere it yet.
9. Pick up each word or phrase from backing sheet and attach to canvas. I used repositionable product as it allowed me to take time to adjust letters, I found it easiest to start adding the words at the bottom, then the top to allow for good spacing between words.
HINT: Try using a ruler to keep your words straight!
10. Adhere matted photo to canvas, allowing some letters to overlap the photo.
11. Add charcoal pencil to the letters at the left and lower edges, if desired. This gives them a more dimensional look. As an option you can create a drop shadow for your letters in the CCR and cut with another color of Square 1 Masterpiece.
12. Add ribbon or twill tape to edges of canvas, optional.
13. Add sequins, bling, buttons or other dimensional embellishment, optional.