Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Weekend at the beach!

Howard and I spent the weekend away on the west coast (of Florida). It was such a relaxing time. All we did was sit at the beach and read...nothing strenuous, nothing planned. It was fabulous.

We stayed at the Doubletree in Redington Beach, which was magnificent! The best part? It was free. Yeah, we use our American Express "Hilton Honors"card throughout the year (for everything!) and pay off the balance each month. Therefore, we never pay interest...EVER! But we reap all the points and benefits. Result? Many a free trip. Yes, we had to pay for food, but that is minimal when it's just the two of us. We got a free breakfast buffet each morning because we are "gold members" or whatever they call it. Gotta love it!

Our view from the upgraded hotel room



Some fishermen were casting off the shore and one caught a HUGE stingray which attracted much attention. He let it go before I could snap a photo.


We also saw a manatee but I didn't have my camera with me. It was floating along the shore line in the "swimming area" and would come up for air now and then. I was surprised that it was in the gulf. I'd only seen them in the fresh water springs. We got in the water and followed it for about half a mile. At one point I was three feet from it and could touch it if I wanted to. I wasn't afraid, but think Manatee are still endangered, so I didn't want to mess with it. I could see the spots on it's back and it's mermaid-like tail. Quite an experience.


This guy kept trying to get a bite of our food...



Got some photos of creative inspiration from the most unlikely things...

the underside of the umbrella...

a tote bag...


a beach towel...


While I was away I brought loads of books to begin planning for my fall online classes. I have TONS of ideas! :-)







A great time was had by all...

1 comment :

  1. Great photo's Shirley. Had a great time with my sweetheart. Let's do it again soon! Howard

    ReplyDelete