Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bobbin Stitching

Have you ever checked out Superior Threads? It is a "must visit" website full of thread and thread education...all of it superb! In fact, you can join me in taking their Superior University at-home monthly courses. All of the four lessons I've received so far is exactly what I want to learn. Bobbin work, thread sketching, working with soluble thread and invisible (Monopoly) thread. Here's some photos of the first lesson.

Gotta get one of these babies...Pilot Frixion pen. It's a regular gel pen that works on fabric and disappears with heat. Just iron over it and it's gone!



With bobbin stitching you can use thicker threads in the bobbin that wouldn't fit through your needle or upper tension discs.  You essentially stitch upside down. You have to be willing to adjust the bobbin tension for these thicker threads, or do what I have done and purchage a separate bobbin just for bobbin work.  Below, I've got Razzle Dazzle in the bobbin and am stitching along my (poorly drawn!) image.

But when you look beneath...there's the beauty!



All four "mug rugs" were stitched together at the edges with a zigzag and MonoPoly.
I need a bit more practice, but sort of like the "wonkiness" of the stitches.

1 comment :

  1. Shirley thank you for finding this site. It sure has lots of information.

    ReplyDelete