Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Fabric-Covered Composition Book

I took another class at my local quilt shop on Sunday. Do I really need a fabric-covered composition book? No, it's not necessarily about the project. But this pattern from Indygo Junction is a cutie and definitely easy to follow. The reason I take classes is to glean valuable sewing info from the instructors. Melody, who taught the class and is the store owner, is an award winning garment seamstress. Guess what? She always adjusts the patterns and adds her little tweaks of goodness. For this class she added in needle felting, bobbin stitching, and decorative sewing. You can't get that from a regular pattern. Plus you get to ask all those burning questions you have as you sew. I got to ask about types of wool roving to use, where to get it, what else would work, etc. We got to use the Bernina Needle Punch Tool and a Clover Needle Felting Tool (yes, I had to purchase the felting tool and large mat! I have big plans for it!)

Here's the closed book front. We made crazy patch fabric and did some decorative stitching with bobbin stitching:

We felted the front center piece and added free motion stitching:

There's an inside pocket for pens(the pattern has a little pocket for biz cards, too)

The back has some decorative stitches with regular thread. I'm so loving that diagonal striped fabric. It made is so easy to add the stitches.
I can't say enough about shopping at your local "Mom & Pop" shops. They have put in so much time and energy(not to mention money) to have a great store for you. Do you want the quilt stores to go the route of scrapbooking stores? If you have no idea what I'm talking about, they are basically all gone...the "Joanne's" and "Michael's" may last, but you've got to put your money into local shops and restaurants if you want them to stay.

:D

5 comments :

  1. Your book came out great.
    It was so much fun to spend the afternoon sewing with you!
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, Love, Love it! You did such a great job... Always fun having you in class, you definitely add your personality into everything you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know this store existed! I must check it out. Maybe we could take a class together one day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really searching for such a nice post and got here...Thanks for sharing such a nice information, its beneficial for me...Keep sharing more.
    scrapbooking stores

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was really searching for such a nice post and got here...Thanks for sharing such a nice information, its beneficial for me...Keep sharing more.
    scrapbooking stores

    ReplyDelete