Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Coloring on Fabric

Yep, you can color on fabric with all sorts of coloring tools. Markers, pencils, crayons...loads of stuff. Pull it out of the drawers and just play.


I started this piece a while ago. Stencil with paint on muslin. I love sunflowers and have been wanting to finish it as an art quilt. Let's see how far I can get.


First, I started coloring the flower petals with water coloring pencils.

Next, dip a paintbrush in a bit of water and spread the color around. Nice! I got turned onto water-soluble oil pastels a few years ago. I had never tried them and now I absolutely love them. Loads of rich color that you can add water to and spread it out onto the fabric.

These are the pastels I have...Portfolio. They weren't expensive which was why I decided to try them. You know I have too many art/papercrafting/fabric supplies and when something is not expensive I can easily purchase them and give them a try.
Feel free to mix various coloring tools on one piece...they all mesh together because they are all water-soluble. Keep adding color until you are satisfied with the results. Add color to dry cloth or to wet cloth. With each you will get different results, so experiment.



OK, I'm feelin' it. Now to add a bit of 3-D embellishments.


Until next time...

4 comments :

  1. Shirley, you are a true WEALTH of information ... and you share it, too! Thanks so much! I have learned so much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I've never used my stencils on anything but paper... It might be time to break into my fabric stash lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ohhh,
      You must try coloring on fabric. I think you will love it!
      Shirley

      Delete