Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Painting on Fabric Tutorial, Part 2

Back to one of my favorite things to do...yep, you guessed it...painting on fabric...you're so smart!
Click here for Part 1. Last time we started with wet fabric. This time we keep it dry. It gives a different look. I have not washed my fabric and it does bead up, but I want to have this effect. It doesn't soak into the fabric and takes on the texture of the canvas (cotton duck) that I'm using.

First off, you must cover your workspace! I work on my ironing board and cut open a plastic garbage bag to protect the pad. Pull out your paints, tear or cut fabric to your desired size. I'm making these into a fabric book, so my pages are the size I will use for that.


Pour your paint out on a palette. Don't have a palette? Use a stack of scrap paper that is destined for the garbage...when you're done, just throw it out. Or save the foam fruit trays from the grocery store. All you need to do is rinse them off and they're good to go. I personally wouldn't use ones that had raw meat on it, but if you wash it well...it's not like you'll be eating off it...right?
Let's pick out a few tools. What do you have lying around? I've got a few things to try...

Let's start off with the foam brayer. Load it up good with the paint and lightly roll it over the fabric. It gives a nice, light color. Load it up again with more if you want a darker look.
The rubber brayer is a perfect fit in the foam tray. Let's see how this looks on fabric.
And while we're at it, let's add some paint with a sea sponge. I'm starting with a dry sponge. We're just experimenting, so if I don't like it I'm not committed. But, we're going to be adding more layers after this.
And how about a mesh produce bag?
This is what it looks like at this point. Nothing necessarily to write home about, but this is all about layers. Let this dry and then we can add more layers later. Remember to let each paint color dry before continuing on or you'll get muddy colors.
Not sure which colors to add? Pull out a color wheel or look at one online. I started with greens so what color is a good one to add? Look at what color is opposite of green on the color wheel? Violet or red, depending which type of green you use. Add a bit of that complementary color and you've always got a good look.
Here's a different look.... If you scrunch up the cloth then lightly rub it with a paint-loaded sponge, you can get paint only on the "mountain" ridges.

Use a regular paintbrush. You can use cheap ones. Just swirl the paint. It's really fun!
Another tool that is readily available is a regular pencil eraser. Dip it into the paint and tap it off a bit. Makes good circles.
Break out your foam stamps. If they don't stamp as dark as you want, paint in the shape.
Who knows what this will turn out to be?? Kinda looks like a Chinese dragon...Until next time...enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment