Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Fabric Sun & Surf Tote

I'm totally taking advantage of my local quilt store where I purchased my Bernina aurora 450...re-learning to sew and I love it! I started with a "Take 5" quilt class for beginners. Man, am I ever a beginner! I can barely sew a straight line. Seriously!! With the Mixed Media stuff I do, you don't need straight lines and perfectly cut pieces...but with a quilt...yeah! Last week we sewed our blocks and this week we stitch them all together.... I'll definitely post a photo when it's done.

I made this Sun & Surf Tote at Thursday's class. Love the batik fabrics I chose! It looks like a bathing suit I have.

It has big front and back pockets...a layered button

Love the addition of the large grommets


I must encourage you to check out your local quilt shop/fabric store for classes they offer. The owner of my quilt store, Melody, is an accomplished (and award-winning) garment seamstress and quilter. Her husband Steve works at the shop in management but also with machine maintenance. Then there's Cheryl who helps teach classes...I know there are more employees and teachers, but I don't know them all yet.

My purpose in mentioning this is that during the classes I have attended, I get help on threads, tension, fabrics, rotary cutting, tools, presser feet....There is so much knowledge available for you if you only ask. Who cares if you don't like the class project!? Give it away as a gift, but come learn the techniques and principles. That's how you get better!

No comments :

Post a Comment