Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Derwent Inktense Pencils on Fabric

Remember last week I showed you some of the wonderful fabric I recently purchased from my local quilt shop? Just love this fun newspaper themed fabric. I also love black and white, specifically because you can paint and dye it. (Fabric: Poppy Lane by Alice Kennedy for Timeless Treasures)
Well, here's what I've done to it.
Enter: Derwent Inktense Pencils. These are similar to watercolor pencils, but retain the vibrancy of ink when you add water. Here's what the back of the package reads: Derwent Inktense combines the intensity of pen and ink with the versatility of line and wash. Use them dry to create strong, vivid tones then wash over with water for a translucent, ink-like effect. Once dry, this colour wash is permanent and can be worked over again using other media, both soluble and non-soluble. The possibilities are endless, the results stunning.
They come in this pack of six and also larger packs of 24 colors.


Yes, they work on fabric! Check it out:

I began with dry fabric. Color on your fabric with the pencils.
With a paintbrush spread a bit of water and watch the vibrant colors come alive. (Yes, I should have used a smaller brush!)

You will get some bleeding if you use a lot of water, so be aware. You can see some bleed into the man's face below...but that just adds to the charm of it all...in my eyes.So try it out...I bet you'll love them as much as I do!

6 comments :

  1. Hello Shirley, I have just found out about these Derwent pencils, and want to try them out on fabric.I have just seen a quilting dvd that shows how as well. Have you done any more experimenting lately

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that clear aloe vera gel will activiate the color on the fabric and will prevent bleeding? It's great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it washable?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it *really* that easy? I just saw these at my local craft store and bought a set. I can't wait to play with these!!!!

    Any other tips you can pass on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am wondering how fade proof the Inktense will be when washed after using the aloe vera gel. I also use acrylic paint to punch up my colors especially white. Any comments on washability?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous,
      Derwent Inktense pencils are permanent when dry. I haven't tried machine washing as most of my pieces are purely for decoration. But if they say permanent, I would tend to believe it.

      Delete