Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Painting on Fabric Tutorial, Part 1

Painting on Fabric Tutorial, Part 1
Just let yourself play. No project in mind. Just see how the paints and inks flow onto the fabric. Use whatever you have on hand. Make sure you cover your workspace as you and it will get messy!! I use my ironing board as a table as I like to stand to paint...it's the perfect height.(Thanks and a shout out to Linda Woods and Karen Dinino of Journal Revolution...they use an ironing board, too.)

  1. One of the coloring tools I used is Liquitex Acrylic Inks. These are marvelous! You can use them on paper, fabric, in dip pens, and more! Add them to a spray bottle with a bit of water and spray them onto your fabric or paper. The caps have a dropper so you can save on ink. Or use the dropper and drip onto fabric. You can purchase them individually or the the set I have comes in these three primary colors with black, white, brown(to be exact: Yellow Orange Azo, Phthalocyanine Blue(green shade), Naphthol Crimson, Carbon Black, Titanium White, Transparent Raw Umber). There's also a metallic set...yes, I have it...comes with the black and white and Iridescent Bright Silver, Iridescent Bright Gold, Iridescent Rich Bronze, and Iridescent Rich Copper. Good stuff! I've got to get me a dip pen!!!
  2. This is only a small portion of my paint stash. I have scrapbook paints, craft paints, tube acrylics, fluid acrylics, fabric paints, Dye-Na-Flow(the paint that acts like an ink), Lumiere(wonderful shimmery colors) and more! not to mention other coloring tools and instruments...we'll get to that in later tutorials. ;-)
  3. Onto the painting...I used a scrap of muslin fabric (not pre-washed). Just tear it. You can either paint on your fabric dry or wet. Each will give you a different look. For these photos, I've wet my fabric first. The water gives your paints a more blended look on the fabric, like watercolor. In the photo below, I've wet the fabric and spread on fluid acrylic with a paintbrush. You can use a sponge, foam brush or whatever.
  4. Various colors of fluid acrylics blended with water. I like how as the fabric dried the edges gathered a more vibrant color as the paints wicked out.
  5. You can get some really neat "dyed" fibers, too if you leave the threads hanging on the torn fabric edges. See the bottom right corner of the photo below.
  6. Play with commercially printed fabrics, too. Here's a few 2" squares of a batik look print. The base is white and navy. I just added some very watered-down paints and it created fantastic looking pieces to use in my mixed media art.

Next up...let's add some more color with other coloring tools, stamps, etc.

1 comment :

  1. My name is Cheryl Richards and I'm the technique section editor for Artella's Art Journaling Journey ezine. Please contact me at
    cheryl at artellaland dot com to discuss reprinting your fabric technique.

    ReplyDelete