Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

My new purse...wonderful ruffly goodness

I have to give you a little background to this purse. It's made from cotton duck. If you're not familiar with it, it is probably the closest thing you can get to canvas...at least at my local Joanns. I like cotton duck because it is pretty heavy duty.
I wanted to play with fabric one day and decided to make a purse...no pattern, just start cutting and sewing. I don't like to read instructions anyway and like being a free spirit and a rogue with my crafting. :-) So I decide to make a purse...what size, you ask? Well it has to fit my wallet and my cell phone and my keys. Other than that I don't care. So I measured my wallet, added a few inches, added a bit for seam allowances and started to rip!
What kind of handle? Well, I like a shoulder strap, but I'm tall and I like the size of the purse to be long enough so I can grab the bottom of the bag with my hand if my arm is extended straight down my side. I don't know how many inches that is, but I went ahead and tore more strips for the strap.

Only after I started sewing this did I realize I wanted to use this yummy quilting fabric. I was perusing the quilting department in the very same Joann's and happened upon this great fabric. The charm pack of this same fabric is called Seaglass by Fabric Central. I bought the fat quarters and the charm pack. I can't find a link, so it's probably discontinued by now. I absolutely fell in love with the colors. It reminds me of a beach vacation.
Long story-short...here's the end result. I love it!
Wonderful ruffly goodness!
When you don't follow a pattern or the regular way you'd normally stitch something like this, you have to fanagle(sp?) a few things...I sewed it up before stitching on the ruffles. Oops! Oh well, I did it anyway. Luckily I hadn't totally stitched down the inner lining so I was able to get inside it to stitch the ruffles.
It's got a magnetic snap
Coordinated inner lining
I had some extra ruffles so I made a big flower to cover the snap in front.
I'm so proud of this and thankful that it actually turned out well enough to use. Sure, the straps are not exactly straight, but no one will know...Ssshhhh, don't tell anyone!

3 comments :

  1. This is adorable! I'm so impressed that you just went for it--no pattern or anything! PS--love your idea of visiting all the FPC blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new purse, especially the ruffles. You did a great job designing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful! I LOVE it. I can't believe you didn't use a pattern. I am such a rule follower and have been sewing for so long and I could never go without a pattern. LOL! Now if you would write a pattern for it so I could make one that would be great! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete